Like shoes, fit is everything with hearing aids. A good fit is not only critical for comfort, but also for getting good, quality sound with minimal feedback.
- If you have an MDHearing BTE (behind-the-ear) hearing aid, the tip that came assembled on your hearing aid is an small open ComfortTIP.
- If you have an MDHearing ITE (in-the-ear hearing aid), the tip that came assembled on your hearing aid is a medium-sized dome.
In this article, we'll discuss:
- Tips/Domes for BTE hearing aids
- Domes for ITE hearing aids
Tips/Domes for BTE Hearing Aids
MDHearing's BTE hearing aids can be worn with ComfortTIPs (which come assembled on the aid) or domes.
What is a ComfortTIP?
ComfortTIPs give you the affordability and flexibility of round domes, but the comfort of a custom-fitted ear mold. These exclusive tips mirror the natural shape of the ear canal with a slight curve and include a vent in order to provide clear, natural sound and comfort.
- Open ComfortTIP: Includes a venting hole in order to provide clear, natural sound and comfort.
- Your MDHearing hearing aid came assembled with an open ComfortTIP. This is what we recommend for the majority of users.
- Closed ComfortTIP: Includes a much smaller venting hole, so it can provide more volume.
- If you're not getting enough volume or you're experiencing whistling at higher volumes, you might need more gain and should try the closed ComfortTIP.
Please note: Tips are left and right ear specific. Left ComfortTips curve to the left, right ComfortTips curve to the right.
If you find that the ComfortTIP assembled on your BTE hearing aid does not work for you, please contact Customer Support and one of our hearing aid specialists will be able to provide you with a different size or style to help you achieve a great fit.
What are domes?
We also have a variety of dome options available that fit our BTE hearing aids:
Domes come in small, medium, and large sizes. Unlike ComfortTIPs, domes are NOT left and right ear specific.
- Open Dome: Like ComfortTIPs, open domes have venting holes and will provide clear, natural sound and comfort.
- Closed Dome: Closed domes do not have venting holes and can provide more volume.
- Double Bass Dome: Double bass domes are similar to closed domes but have two flanged ends. They provide even more volume than a closed dome and will sit a little deeper into your ear canal than standard closed domes. If you have difficulty with domes staying in your ears, then double bass domes may be a good option for you.
Domes for ITE Hearing Aids
The dome on your MDHearing ITE hearing aid depends on which model you have. The NEO comes with bell domes, while the NEO XS comes with oval domes.
What are bell domes?
Bell domes are specific to our MDHearing NEO hearing aid, which comes assembled with medium-sized bell domes. Due to the fit of the NEO, bell domes are closed domes. These domes are NOT left and right specific.
We also provide small and large sized bell domes in your MDHearing box. We recommend trying both the small and the large bell domes if the medium domes do not work for you.
What are oval domes?
Oval domes are specific to our MDHearing NEO XS hearing aid, which comes assembled with medium-sized oval domes. Due to the fit of the NEO XS, oval domes are closed domes. These domes are NOT left and right specific. However, oval domes have a slight curve, which should follow the curve of the hearing aid when assembled. Please see your user manual for more information.
We also provide small and large sized oval domes in your MDHearing box. We recommend trying both the small and the large oval domes if the medium domes do not work for you.
Looking for more resources?
- How do I change the tip on a BTE hearing aid?
- How do I change the dome on an ITE hearing aid?
- How often should I replace the tip/dome?
- Purchase new accessories