Like shoes, fit is everything with hearing aids. A good fit is not only critical for comfort, but also for getting good, quality sound with minimal feedback.
- If you have an MDHearing BTE (behind-the-ear) hearing aid, the tip that came assembled on your hearing aid is an small open ComfortTIP.
- If you have an MDHearing NEO (our in-the-canal hearing aid), the tip that came assembled on your hearing aid is a medium sized bell dome.
In this article, we'll discuss:
What is a ComfortTIP?
ComfortTIPs give you the affordability and flexibility of round domes, but the comfort of a custom-fitted ear mold. These exclusive tips mirror the natural shape of the ear canal with a slight curve and include a vent in order to provide clear, natural sound and comfort.
Types of ComfortTIPs
There are two main types of ComfortTIPs: open and closed. They come in small (standard) or medium sizes. ComfortTIPs should be cleaned daily and replaced every 3 months.
Open: Includes a venting hole in order to provide clear, natural sound and comfort.
- Your MDHearing hearing aid came assembled with an open ComfortTIP. This is what we recommend for the majority of users.
Closed: Includes a much smaller venting hole, so it can provide more volume.
- If you're not getting enough volume or you're experiencing whistling at higher volumes, you might need more gain and should try the closed ComfortTIP.
Please note: Tips are left and right ear specific. Left ear tips curve to the left, right ear tips curve to the right.
If you find that the ComfortTIP assembled on your BTE hearing aid does not work for you, please contact Customer Support and one of our hearing aid specialists will be able to provide you with a different size or style to help you achieve a great fit.
What are domes?
We also have a variety of dome options available that fit our BTE hearing aids:
These domes come in small, medium, and large sizes. Like ComfortTIPs, open domes will provide clear, natural sound and comfort, while closed domes can provide more volume.
Double bass domes are like closed domes but have two flanged ends. Double bass domes will sit a little deeper into your ear canal than standard closed domes. If you have difficulty with domes staying in your ears, then double bass domes may be a good option for you.
What are bell domes?
Bell domes are specific to our MDHearing NEO (in-the-canal) hearing aid.
They come assembled with medium-sized bell domes. If these do not work for you, we also provide small and large sized bell domes in your MDHearing box. We recommend trying both the small and the large bell domes if the medium domes do not work for you. Due to the fit of the NEO, bell domes are closed domes.
Looking for more resources?
- How do I change the tip?
- How do I change the dome on my NEO?
- How often should I replace the tip/dome?
- Purchase new accessories